Skip to main content

Grateful Dead Live at Onondaga County War Memorial on 1973-09-17

Topics Live concert

Tennessee Jed, Me & My Uncle, They Love Each Other, Beat It On Down The Line, Sugaree, Mexicali Blues, Loser, Looks Like Rain, Row Jimmy, Jack Straw, Loose Lucy, You Ain't Woman Enough, Casey Jones Mississippi Half Step, Let Me Sing*, Truckin'-> Eyes Of The World*-> Weather Report Suite Prelude*-> Weather Report Suite Part 1*-> Let It Grow*-> Stella Blue, Sugar Magnolia

Collection GratefulDead
Band/Artist Grateful Dead
Date September 17, 1973
Venue Onondaga County War Memorial
Location Syracuse, NY

Source Soundboard
Lineage SBD>MR>D>CD>EAC>SHN ; SBD>MR>C>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN

Notes

Thanks to Peter Braverman;
edits/encoding by JCotsman; Note- Fixed d3 now circulates, see public comments for details

Reviews

Reviewer: JamsOnly - - March 17, 2015
Subject: Average Horn Show
No Highlights
Reviewer: deadheadnedwhite - - September 23, 2014
Subject: thanks, @lovehaight
there it is! sweet. wonder what's the story ?

unfortunately for me, i don't care for Fierro's style. kinda wrecks Eyes and WRS for me. oh, well, tasty jams otherwise.
Reviewer: lovehaight - - May 12, 2010
Subject: Jerry sings Sugar Mag!
I have never have anyone notice this other than me on my first tape of it circa 1983! only the first line but it's pretty cool!
Reviewer: oReOs - - October 14, 2009
Subject: Martin Fierro Roxks!
Love the horns! Kieth's Jam on Turckin is full of energy and Just makes me Want to Move! This is a great show! I recomend it!
Reviewer: BornXEyed - - November 7, 2007
Subject: nice little gem
Good sound quality. Interesting LLR: sounds like a theramin is being played during the jam. Odd but kind of cool.
Reviewer: smgarcia - - June 23, 2006
Subject: El Paso?
Both archive.org and setlists.net say that this show did not have El Paso, yet it's part of the concert here. Which is correct?
Reviewer: Ashleydan - - December 17, 2005
Subject: what Bobby told me
In a hotel room in Boston Bob Weir told me that Martin Fierro as part of a jail sentence in Mexico had to play his saxophone for 24 straight hours on the steps of the Aztec pyramids. True or not, who knows? only Martin Fierro. This was an excellent 73 second set. Very different but excellent.Sound in the hall was terrible, but to see this show was atreat.
Reviewer: JeffroFish - - May 22, 2005
Subject: Horn Question Answered!
The horn player is Martin Fierro. Martin played in Doug Sahm's band, who opened this show. Martin played with the Dead on the Wake of the Flood LP, and also played with Jerry's band at the time with Merle Saunders (Legion of Mary?)
Reviewer: emdeadhead - - March 13, 2005
Subject: Where Did the Horn Section Come From?
I saw a couple of other shows in 1973 but this show was something unique. In the second set, the Dead brought out some horns as they started playing songs from the Wake of the Flood album.
Totally unexpected and interesting. It still hasn't lost anything, 31 years later!
Stream Only
Stream playlist
( VBR )
In Collection
Grateful Dead
In Collection
Live Music Archive
Uploaded by
Jonathan Aizen
on 4/5/2004
19,210
Favorites
PEOPLE ALSO FOUND
Grateful Dead
by Grateful Dead
4,767
Source: Audience Partial
Grateful Dead
by Grateful Dead
6,377
( 4 reviews )
Source: Audience Recording: Sony ECM-270s> Sony TC-152 from front of balcony
Grateful Dead
by Grateful Dead
5,002
( 2 reviews )
Source: AUD (Nak300's)>MC>DAT>CDR Set 2 Mark Horvath FOB ATM2’s> Sony TC-D5>MC>CDR
Grateful Dead
by Grateful Dead
22,942
( 7 reviews )
Source: possible reDAE/reSHN of previous shn set
Grateful Dead
by Grateful Dead
9,308
( 4 reviews )
Source: Audience Recording
Grateful Dead
by Grateful Dead
6,024
( 5 reviews )
Source: AUD>DAT>CDR
Grateful Dead
by Grateful Dead
4,853
( 1 reviews )
Source: FOB Schoeps CMC3/MK4 (ORTF)> Oade Preamp> Dat (Panasonic SV255/48k)
Grateful Dead
by Grateful Dead
9,131
( 12 reviews )
Source: FOB-Sennheiser 421> Master Cass(Sony D5)> Dat> CDR> EAC> SHN
Grateful Dead
by Grateful Dead
7,640
( 4 reviews )